Many NFT projects are geared toward English-speaking cultures, which inadvertently alienates a large portion of the world. We believe a more cohesive Cardano community is possible through the translation of English-based NFT assets. Translating Duo, the NFT card game on Cardano, into a variety of common languages, not only enables people to experience utility-based NFTs in their language but also provides a more diverse and enriched Cardano community.
Duo is the flagship play-to-earn NFT Game powered by Revelar. Duo brings together humor and CNFTs as an easy-entry NFTs game in the next wave of gaming. Duo aims to bring more people into crypto and does so through humor.
Since our launch in October 2021, we have focused on building the systems that would facilitate game-play, provide on-chain rewards, and function seamlessly. We have a vibrant Discord community where we have been facilitating a pre-alpha version of the game for over 130 days.
By translating our first deck into other languages, we believe Duo can open the door to new players and introduce them to Cardano in emerging blockchain markets. By taking NFTs into a global ecosystem, we can build a more vibrant play-to-earn gaming community on Cardano.
By porting game content across linguistic and cultural boundaries, more gamers from around the world are given access to a global community in a way that is more familiar to them. Previously alienated communities can now enter into the ecosystem and themselves extract value.
Humor is a universal concept but it is heavily influenced by our language and cultural experiences. By porting game content to different languages and adding in culturally relevant humor, Duo can create a truly global user base whilst accelerating the adoption of crypto for all.
Our world today is full of risks, especially with the unknown nature of our global economy & workforce. The largest challenges for our goal of adding in outside developer teams to build NFT Games with Revelar on Cardano are the following:
- Lost in translation: To facilitate the porting and creation of content in different languages, we need to partner with native speakers and people who understand the culture. These partners will be responsible for creating content appropriate to their language, however, as non-native speakers, it would be difficult for us to ensure that the translated content is correct and appropriate. We aim to mitigate this by partnering with multiple entities/people capable of delivering content, whilst cross-validating previously created content.
- Cultural translation - Some of the current humor archetypes within the Duo humor archetypes are funny in English, however, they may not be funny in other cultures or languages because they are not compatible with the culturally accepted humor. We aim to mitigate this risk by using more than one translator who can provide linguistic and contextual translation
- Remote collaboration risks - The proposal will most certainly result in a global collaborative effort with parties working remotely. As such standard remote working risks also apply. This can be managed by limiting the need for synchronous communication with clear planning ahead of time for what needs to be done and by when
- Product fit: Translating content into another language does not guarantee the adoption of that content by the intended audience. There is a chance that the game of Duo may not resonate with the intended audience as expected. To mitigate this we are keeping the game-play of Duo simple and we will also
There are likely other risks, but we believe these are the primary ones to take into account and mitigate along the way. Again keeping in line with the Challenge Brief, we want to deliver the highest value with the least amount of technical sophistication to grow the community.
2 Weeks - Finding/Partnering with a translator
2-4 Weeks - Translating the content and creating new content if time/budget allows. This step may also include some cross-validation between translators
2 Weeks - Generating new assets from the translated content
4 Weeks - Marketing and launching a game deck in the appropriate region relative to the content
$1850 - Translation Services
$500 - Regional content creation
$500 - Collection design overhead (time cost for designing and generating the new assets)
$1900 - Regional marketing for the new collection
The budget breakdown above was derived as a percentage estimate of budget allocation.
Jason Toevs - CEO / Founder
Jason’s formal education is in Mathematics with a focus on Set Theory. With 10+ years as a full stack developer and technical founder, he has experience building business systems and scaling software products and teams. His most recent experience has been focused on systems architecture design and leading an engineering team for global enterprise SaaS products used in Fortune 50 companies and 127 countries with 99.95% uptime. Plutus Pioneer Cohort #2, Atala PRISM Cohort #2
Discord: ₳ussieGingersnap | DUO#1037
Benjamin Beer – CTO
Ben’s formal education is in Computer and Electronic Engineering with a focus on both hardware and software-based programming and system design. His Master's degree specialty focus is on the creation of decision support systems. He was on the NWU Solar Car racing team in South Africa as an engineer to create a web-based Race Strategy Optimization System that provides near real-time feedback in a race scenario by collating and processing large amounts of telemetric data. As part of his post-graduate thesis, he focused on the incorporation of blockchains, specifically smart contracts, into the supply chain. This research involved significant work on Ethereum with Solidity, before being introduced to Cardano. Plutus Pioneer Cohort #3, Atala Prism Cohort #2
Discord: KarooSeun | DUO#2202
Jacob Christian - CCO / Co-Founder
With a double major in Entrepreneurship and Integrated Marketing Communications, Jacob is an experienced brand strategist and content creator. Before founding Revelar, he worked alongside startups across the United States to help them build their brands and grow their communities. His skills in content creation are best shown on YouTube, outperforming the channel average growth rate by +80%. His passion is cultivating community engagement through creativity and brand experience which is highlighted in Revelar’s flagship game, Duo daily as the game lead. LinkedIn: <https://www.linkedin.com/in/designerfourteen/>
Revelar has a dedicated domain to all of our Catalyst proposals, we run these as live as we can to show real-time progress, history, and modifications until we do our final reports and closeouts for each proposal. We welcome anyone to visit and audit our progress anytime - <https://catalyst.revelar.co>
We will create a Duo Translation page with the deck translation status as the content is translated into localized packs, along with community translator notes in modifying content.
Success in this project would be the successful completion of translated content as well as the engagement with a local community during and post-marketing. Our metrics for success are, therefore:
- On-time delivery of translated and regional content
- Onboarding of gamers from the targeted region
- 3 Months - 100 New players
- 6 Months - 250 New players
- 9-12 Months - 500-1000 New players
- By new players, we mean players from the target language and cultural audience. Given that Duo is still in the pre-alpha phase, this onboarding will be measured by activity in our Discord server with dedicated gameplay for the appropriate language.
Revelar has a catalog of past proposals & their progress at: https://catalyst.revelar.co As this is focused on our flagship game, Duo, this is considered a new proposal.